This is so so quick and easy to do and lighter than a normal pie as it just has a pastry top.
My version of a chicken and leek pie
4 x 180g skinless chicken breasts
A knob of butter
1 ½ leeks
1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
1 heaped tbsp. plain flour, plus extra for dusting
2 or 3 (up to you) heaped tbsp. low fat crème fraiche
300ml chicken stock (I use a stock cube)
A few sprigs of fresh thyme (or a tsp of dried mixed herbs works well too)
1/3 a nutmeg, grated if you have some (I don’t bother)
1 sheet pre-rolled puff pastry
Some garlic and basil (I add this but Jamie didn’t so if you want to leave it no probs)
Optional ingredients: add mushrooms, bacon etc. if you like
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- Cut the chicken into small chunks (I use my kitchen scissors for this – so much easier!). Season with pepper and salt. Put a lug of olive oil and butter into a hot, large pan. Add the chicken and cook for a few minutes until sealed.
- Meanwhile, make the stock and slice the leeks up to your liking
- Add leeks to pan
- Leave to soften for a few mins
- Add your flour and crème fraiche. Stir well.
- Add the chicken stock and stir again. Add the herbs and the nutmeg, and season. Leave to simmer for 5 mins
- Pour the mixture into an oven proof dish. I just used predone pastry but you may have to roll it a little thinner. Tucking the edges in.
- Prick the pastry
- Beat an egg or I just use milk (easier and cheaper)
- Place in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden.