So you can’t beat a good old lemon drizzle cake, the ultimate crowd pleaser! Zingy but ultra sweet, a little bit sour, a little bit rich and very moist.
Got to say, this always always goes down a storm!
Easiest bit is…equal amount of sugar, butter and flour, and you cook at the same temperature too!
For the very lemony lemon cake:
- 175g flour (self raising)
- 175g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 lemons (zest and juice)
- vanilla essence
For the icing: Lemon juice & sugar
For the buttercream: good squirt of Lemon juice, 100g of icing sugar, 100g of butter
- preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius
- cream together butter and sugar until paler in colour and smooth
- zest and juice lemons and add to wet mixture (it will look curdled but don’t you worry!)
- add 3 eggs and vanilla essence and mix like a bat out of hell
- sift the flour and fold in
- add to a round tin (any standard diameter, I even use a loaf tin sometimes)
- cook for 30-40 mins, until a light golden colour and a knife comes out clean
- Juice 2 lemons and add in caster sugar untuil thick consistency, sort of like runny custard.
- Poke holes with a fork (lightly!) in top of cake
- Put icing on cake (whilst its still in tin)
- Mix butter and icing sugar
- Beat like crazy and add lemon juice to taste
- Fill the cake generously
ENJOY with a good cuppa 😀